Our Notes & References
Detailed illustrated history of this celebrated fortified monastery founded in the 1430s on an island of the White Sea – before becoming the first corrective labour camp of the Communist regime after the Revolution, and an early member of the GULAG system.
With many full-page photographic plates and two large folding maps: of the Solovki islands and of the surrounding region. The author of the book, being the head of the monastery, represented the monastery historiographic school. Before him, Archimandrite Dosifei published a major work on the history of the monastery in 1833. Both authors relied on a wide range of archival documents: letters of honour and imperial letters, decrees, orders of the Synod, diplomatic correspondence, monastery household documentation.
Archimandrite Ioannikii, unlike his predecessor, paid great attention to the internal, everyday life of the monks, the construction and development of the monastery, the work of various monastery services, workshops and schools.
Ia. D. Iagunov, 1936 (dated stamp to title); Avenir Nizoff (émigré, musician, and book collector who lived in Edmonton, Canada).